Sunday, December 30, 2007

Unhappy Anniversary

Today is a day full of fond memories. Eighteen years ago, I married the love of my life and enjoyed fifteen years of, well, not bliss exactly, but certainly some exciting, qualifying moments.

My husband, Carl Bibbs, had two stunning careers. He was a gifted nightclub singer and a gifted portrait photographer. I joined him in support of both businesses, and those enterprises were far more satisfying than any other work I ever did. As he achieved a certain celebrity in the community, my heart welled with pride and the satisfaction of teamwork.

Here are just a few of hundreds of rich memories that sooth my heart:

* A spectator at the Muny in Forest Park grabbed my hand as I walked by and told me, "Tell that man not to neglect his gift. He has a beautiful singing voice. Tell him to never let it go!"

* A spectator in a nightclub said, "I travel for business and I have been in hundreds of clubs all over the country. He has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard."

* A mom brought her children to our studio to have their Christmas photos taken by Carl. She said, "I brought this to show you." She laid out in chronological order every photo Carl had taken of her kids every year for eight years, going back to the first infant. She chronicled her children's growth and change with maturity. And she chronicled an unshakable customer loyalty that only comes with good service and a great product.

*Restauranteur Joe Boccardi stood in the center of his veranda, packed with guests eating. He turned to Carl and said, "Every person I see has come back to hear you."

My husband had a heart attack and died April 27, 2005. My life and heart and joy went out the front door with Carl and the paramedics. I'm sure there are better husbands, better marriages, better partnerships, even better sex. But I wouldn't change a thing.

1 comment:

judithg said...

I just wanna say hi to you

Friend from the 70 something era.

Knew Dan and Carl---sorry to hear about them from James.

Wanna kavetch?